Recently, a smart, savvy man named Kurt, a social media expert, decided he was going to sell his house. Not really knowing that it was going to go way above reserve, but using youtube, twitter and other media to connect with people that may just be in his target market. It was a brilliant strategy, and probably took a lot of time and a bit of investment on his part, but it certainly paid off with an extra $135,000 over the reserve price, what a great result.
If you are trying to sell a property or car using a social media marketing strategy, here are 20 tips on how to get started:
- create a name that will suit all social media accounts (ie. brisbane4brhouse) maximum 20 characters
- check if the name is available as a domain first, if it is check other media is also available
- register your domain name fast when you find a fit
- create a WordPress blog and a theme that suits your property
- setup a YouTube account (channel) that shows video footage (for a prestigue property pay someone to make it look really professional, other amature is good as long as your lighting is right)
- setup a Facebook account (if you already have one use it instead if you feel comfortable with that)
- setup a Twitter account for tweets about features, open times, location benefits, and more
- setup a Google plus account for top quality links to your posts and agent’s site
- setup a Picasa account for top quality photos
- the blog is used to advertise features of the home, create posts, and compare other properties in the area
- always provide a link to the page where your agent is advertising the property details
- use descriptions to put in extra contact relevant to the property – such as 4 bedroom house for sale [location] and link to your blog
- setup social media integration into the blog for automatic feeds into all social media accounts to share your posts
- create a video of the property (either photos blended or an actual video) maximum 10 minutes long, or several to highlight different features in the home
- link that video channel to your facebook and twitter account, and other social media where possible
- find followers, groups, and friends
- send out regular tweets
- update facebook with status updates
- submit all your sites to search engines
- ask your friends and family to share the links with their friends and family
There you have it, top 20 social media marketing tips for selling your home.
Another word of advice: SEO is extremely important. If your potential buyer is looking for a 4br house in Brisbane, they will come across all the big real estate sites, so you need to stand out, use keywords that people are searching for in your account names, descriptions, titles, and blog posts.
Just a quick suggestion: If you are doing all this yourself you might want to negotiate with your agent; as you are doing a lot of the work to get extra attention, he/she should reduce the commission. After all you are effectively doing what they are being paid to do, right!
This strategy is great if you are thinking of starting a business. It can be used as a good business idea to get up and running. If you would like to setup your business using this concept and need advise please contact me. If you would like help setting this social media strategy up to sell your own property I can help you with that as well. With a small startup investment for the package above and $500 each month until the property is sold.
Terrific post! You’ve created a kind of an ultimate mini-guide for all those aspiring sellers waiting to sell off their house. Social media marketing has been the buzzword in the real state sector for quite some time now and your post comes for help right when needed.
Hey John, thanks for providing a comment on my blog. Can you give me an idea on how much you charge to offer the service to an agent. I have been getting enquiries and would be happy to flick them to you but I will need a ballpark for the client and they can decide which way to go. Thanks and good luck with the new business. Cheers Michelle
Nice Post. Growth is very necessary for everyone according to there interest and skill. Social media is a good source of promoting your business. All the concept is interesting and the tips for improving family business are useful.
Wow, fantastic weblog format! How long have you been running a blog for? you make blogging look easy. The overall look of your web site is magnificent, as well as the content!
Do you mind if I quote a few of your posts as long as I provide credit and sources back to your weblog? My blog site is in the exact same niche as yours and my visitors would genuinely benefit from a lot of the information you provide here. Please let me know if this okay with you. Thanks a lot!